Tuesday, May 30

What Really Counts

I would make the best Chassid. I really would.

These are my reasons:
1- I love wearing black.
2- I love fur.
3- I love Rebbes.

Besides, the whole beard thing (which I'm sure would not please Mr. Kasamba) I think I would actually make a great chassid except for one problem: I couldn't stick to just one Rebbe.

This is because I am a non denominational Rebbe admirer.

I love all Rebbes from all branches of Chassidism. I adore their messages of Ahavas Yisroel and Simchas Chayim. The following is one of my 'Rebbe Stories'- that means - it happened to me.

It was good two weeks into the omer and a filling from one of my back teeth came out (a souvenir of the 70's) and I had to visit my lovely South African dentist. The Friday night before I went to see him a Rav came to me in dream. I woke up shabbos morning thinking the Rav of our shul (who is still alive and kicking) had come to see me to give me a message. "How nice," I thought, "I didn't know that he knew who I was!" The problem of course was that he didn't look exactly like the Rav in my dreams, he had no glasses in my dream and I had never seen him without them, so I just assumed it was him.
Anyhoo, I go to the dentist and...

He offered me his video goggles so I could watch a video during the procedure. He then asked me a profound question which was to have rather serious ramifications. He said, "Would you like to watch Fawlty Towers or the Lubavitche Rebbe's Fabrengin?"

Well you got to here, so you know the answer already. I opted for the Lubavitche Rebbe zt"l. As soon as he came on screen, I almost choked, it was HIM, the Rav from my dream! And as soon as I heard what he had to say, I knew that this fateful incident had to have been pre-ordained.

You see, a week prior to my dream, a friend had borrowed something very expensive of mine and returned it to me damaged. I was not a happy bunny. But I was more upset at my friend for not noticing that she had damaged it and then when I had showed her, not apologizing. I felt it was the principal of the matter. I didn't want to have a grudge against this woman, but I didn't know what to do to feel better about her.

So the Rebbe started talking to me, his eyes boring into me the message that I needed to hear,
it went something like this:

In this time of the omer, why are we busy counting our possessions? We count what we have and we count our money. But do we count our days?
More importantly, do we make our days count?

At the end of the day, how important is it that someone did something to something I own? I should be focusing on myself and my spirituality and making a difference in my family and the world.

And so, I removed the video goggles, blobby black mascara running down my face mingling with my tears and the dentist declared that it was the first time that someone was more overcome by the video, then they were the treatment.

We a a few days until Shavous, where all our Ruchnius will be determined for the entire year. Let's make these last few days count.

Better yet, let's make all our days count.

Have a happy and healthy Shavuos!!!!


34 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

nice story.

BTW, You've been tagged.

http://jerusalemcop.blogspot.com/2006/05/if-you-want-to-understand-me-watch-my.html

J.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Kasamba: I liked that alot.

Carpe Diem -- and enjoy your stay here in Eretz Yisrael!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Also A Chussid said...

Kasamba,

Guess what…

If those three things truly describe you, then you are a chussid, at least in my book.

On a more serious note. I am a skeptic by nature (or so I like to think of myself), and generally don’t believe stories as the one you recounted in your post. Not that I don’t believe that it ever happened, I truly believe that you had that dream. But I don’t have much credence in the subliminal massage you seemed to believe in.

For the past half year my daughter age six is having nightmares of eliyuhi hanuve, out of all people. She got up one time in middle of the night and came running into my wife’s bed (lucky me…). It took us an hour and half to find out what the scary dream was. When she told us that it was eliyuhi hanuve, we, me and my wife, both burst out in laughter. However, my daughter didn’t think it’s that funny. Since then we put her to sleep with a rezreal hmalach. As much as I don’t believe in dreams and segulas, for my daughter that sgeuleh came in handy. Every night when I tiptoe into her bedroom to give her a kiss before I go to sleep, she looks so innocent, clutching that little sefer for dear life.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

As usual kasamba....i start laughing....then i stop.....then i laugh........you're posts are an emotional rollercoaster....your last one about rebbetzen wein......i'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.....she'd probably want me to laugh.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

again, great post. love those moments where you feel as if the speech/shiur/lecture/story was organised especially for you for that particular moment in time, to give strength or advice or get you through. and at least in your case, it took your attention away from whatever the dentist was doing! (and video goggles... COOL! my dentist doesn't have that!)

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

j-cop;
Yay!
I've been tagged!!!

Jameel:
Thank you- this place is incredible!

Also:
How sweet little girl is!

I understand your scepticsm- but I really buy into all this dream stuff! I have weird dreams ALL the time. I love them!

Kish:
As long as you're on the ride with me, luv!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

oh yeah....with you all the way....no need to book an appointment...it's great, i never know what's coming next!

I don't even remember my dreams. Isn't it weird how you just KNOW the person dressed up as Donald duck is really Great Aunt Freda??

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Open Up! said...

amein! hope you don't have anymore dental problems those can really be painful! btw i never heard of video goggles what a cool dentist you go to

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Y.Y. said...

this is a great jewish blog no nagging and complaining

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger tafka PP said...

You love FUR?!

Don't know if we can be friends anymore! :-S

Altho I don't know anyone else whose dreams the Rebbe popped into, so I'll put my ire on hold for now!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Bonnie B said...

You fill my mornings with very important messages-- thank you.
You are a teacher to me without even knowing it.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger s.J. said...

do they make bekishahs for women?

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger the only way i know said...

Dreams have meanings - not necessarily predictions -
but they are the product of our subconsciuos - or so i believe.

My most memorable dream ever:

I was rushing to get to my husband's chuppa - he was getting married....and i stood there with all the guests, watching as his life with his new wife began,
I knew she would be getting the most beautiful flowers every shabbos,
and that he would treat her like a queen, and would try and make life beautiful and easy for her in every way possible....and in my dream i cried so hard...because i had given up something so precious... i could hardly breathe from the terrible heartache..

and when i opened my eyes and looked around me - i was so glad he was still there -
with all our ups and downs -
my subconscious was saying
he is still very special to me.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger the only way i know said...

btw , my shatzili
come and visit my blog
i've finally decided to just do it!
come say hi !

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Karl said...

B"H, She hasnt been assimilated as a true Brit yet!

Kasamba, as always a great post.
Hope u have a good Yom Tov.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger None available said...

I love it how you're fun and inspiring all in one go.
Not many can boast of that!

Have a counted-for day!

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Thanks....
I'm also so drawn to Chassidus...(and I dont wear fur..lol)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

i love how you write, its so fun to read, full of raw emotion, and its pleasant, and real.
i totally beleive in those dreams. im not sure they necessarily include some mystical divine aspect to them, but maybe its just our subconcsious reminding us how to behave or what to think, at a level beyond what our ego wants to hear. the dream and the goggles and channel glasses.. all in perfct synchronicity just in time for shavuos, lovely!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger ggggg said...

Way to Go Chasidette!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Good one. If you like black hats wear a mink hat like my mom has.

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kasamba-

I hope that being in EY is great for you this year-

And I'm with you on the Rebbe part- how can you pick just one? Its like Ice Cream- could you ever be happy with just vanilla, or chocolate, or Cherry Garcia? Impossible! Sample as many bowls as you can, but dont' mix them together. Mixed Rebbes are not tasty.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Sarah:
Right message, right time.
Cool dentist! Thanks!

Kish:
LOL!!!

Openup:
You gotto love my dentist!

Limey:
Well, I said that I dreamt about a Rav- i only realised he was the rebbe when I was at the dentist.
But hey, I'm a Reb Chuna chussid anyway!!!!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

YY:
Thank you!

TafkaPP:
Please forgive me my purple friend, I also like force-fed geese. Lots.

Bonnieb:
You are so sweet!

SJ:
Good question!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Jemima:
I know. Strange, huh?

Karl;
You have a great Yom Tov too!!!!

Theonlyway:
I love how you write, even your comments are worthy of publication. You talented woman you!!!

Tomboy:
Thanks for that!!
You too!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

David:
thanks for relating! Have a great yom tov!

Anym00kie:
May we all get the messages we need at the right time!
Have a fab Shavous!

Lakewood:
Ta! Gut Yom Tov!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Socialw:
LOL!

Amishav:
As always love your visits! Gr8 Yom Tov!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Amazing story, so before that you had never seen a picture of the Lubavitcher Rebbe?
While I commend you for the way you handled the return of your sun glasses, I do think a person retuning something should make sure it’s returned in a proper condition.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

Wow Kasamba, that is powerful stuff!!!

I admire you!

Happy Shavuos!!!

FG

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Wow, cool story! Very, very cool! Spooky, too, but in a good way :-) My grandmother-in-law, who lived in Tzfat for many years (lot of mystical stuff happening there) is often "visited" in her dreams and acts accordingly- she hasn't been wrong yet!

Again, neat post!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Prag:
Of course I had seen pictures of the Rebbe, but for some odd reason I jumped to the conclusion that it was the Rav of our shul without his spectacles! It was only when I saw the video that I was like, "D'oh!"

Turqouise:
Hope you had a great one!

Frumgirl:
Ta ever so much!

RR:
Way cool grandma-inlaw!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Lee said...

hey! I just read your post, and my first reaction was- did that really happen? Not that I, chas v'shalom, disbelieve you, but...whoooooaaahhh. Seriously, whoa.

and...ya know, hats are really back in style. I say go all out, get one of those large black ones and cause a mini-stir!

I hope your shavuos was scrumptiously wonderful!:)

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Okee;
I am the recipient of many weird things!
I really believe Rabbi Frand when he says that the messages are out there, it's just a question of being able to pick them up!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

Wow, the Rebbe in your dream.

Look into that. Good stuff.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

mimi:
cool huh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My blog is worth $12,419.88.
How much is your blog worth?

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>