Thursday, October 26

Dancing on the Viennese Table

After the chuppah, we all went back to the hotel, where we all removed our hats; the men their standard black ones and us women, our fabulous be-jeweled, be-feathered, be-autiful hats.
(When I become Prime Minister of England, I will make a law requiring all women in the United Kingdom, to wear spectacular hats.
At all times.
With at least one feather.)

The dinner shinding took place that evening in the hotel hall.

Besides the gorgeous flowers, great music, and fabulous bride and groom, I found it heart warming to see my kids, all squeaky clean and gussied up, get into the swing of things. The image of Asparagus and Cucumber dancing with their cousin, the Kallah, will stay with me forever.

What happened on the mens side with my three boys I had to (poke, prod) glean from Mr Kasamba because the darn mechitza was as thick as the Badeken cloth.

There was this one woman who didn’t walk into the hall, she wafted. A flawlessly preserved older woman with perfectly coifed blonde hair, she looked like Glinda the Good when she landed in Munchkin land in her huge mobile soap bubble. But it wasn’t even her aura which channelled old Hollywood, it wasn’t even the twelve inch long cigarette holder perched between her immaculately manicured fingers, (heck, she made smoking look so good, I was inches close to starting the habit myself) it was her jewels.

Now, I don’t know how many of you have been to see the crown jewels in the Tower of London. There, you have to queue for two hours to stand on a treadmill to get a two minute view of jewellery that might just be rhinestones. Plus, if you walk backwards on the moving walkway, the people behind you get really cross. Well, on this dame, I had my own showing of gems that were real and I could stare as long as wanted. (Okay, so she did get uncomfortable at one point.)

I’m sure she would have forgiven me, because until I saw her, I had never seen jewels of that calibre on a human before. The woman was like a walking JAR exhibition. Her necklace, earrings, bracelet, ring and brooch housed the most enormous emeralds I have ever had the pleasure of dreaming about. They were so large, I could have ice skated on any one of them.
We’re talking triple axle room here.

She was also wearing a stunning gown, but let’s be honest;
with rocks like those, who needs clothes?

But enough about that, back to Celery and Rhubarb, the happy couple at their wedding dinner.

In Europe, we have speeches during Chasunas. Let me tell you, there is an art in having a discussion with your neighbour without being spotted by the top table.
I would make an excellent ventriloquist.

In between speeches, there was dancing, and it was incredibly leibedik. My niece is a natural born dancer and stole the show with her fancy footwork.

The Mitzvah Tanse was very emotional, as I don’t think the whole giving-up-my-daughter- thing sunk into my brother-in-law until then. My sister-in-law, on the other hand, had been sick about the whole thing for ages. After all, you don’t raise such a great kid only to say, ‘bye’ without a backwards glance! My sister-in-law had a lump in throat for weeks prior to this momentous occasion and lost packs of weight because she couldn’t eat. Thank goodness the wedding wasn’t the next week, because she would have disappeared by then.

By the way, the happiest words said at a Mitzvah Tanse are, “Er geit, er geit”.

Then the Cusson and Kallah danced together.

And so the wedding ended.
The first child in our family to get married, my niece has all our hopes, prayers and dreams infused in her wedding ring. And when we saw her bidding everyone a ‘Guten Abend’ with her hand clutching her new husbands for dear life, we all knew that all is good with the world.

There is nothing like a family simcha to make you appreciate what a terrific family you have.

19 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger smb said...

Mazel tov

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

hehe.....the art of ventriloquism at a wedding, i know the feeling! if it's a mixed wedding it's the art of playing footsie with hubby.

She was also wearing a stunning gown, but let’s be honest;
with rocks like those, who needs clothes? - SO TRUE!!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

sounds like a beautiful simcha!

but speaking of hats, kasamba, you would love the Spring Racing Carnival that we have here in Melbourne. A month of horse race meets on a grand scale and to go to the races one wears a hat. A hat and a stunning frock or designer gear. When people go to the races to see the fillies, they don't necessarily mean the horses. The fashions on the field are an event on their own. But those hats. Well... small, big, traditional, sculptural, feathered, flowered, novelty... anything goes as long as you've got something perched on your head. There are some stunning creations and the girls or designers put the outfits together with appropriate accessories. It is pretty spectacular!

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Open Up! said...

gotta love those hats...beats fixing up a sheitel's hairline....hubby's not such a big fan...he and his father snicker...oh what lovely lampshades

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

*sniff sniff sniff*!!!

OK... if you are gonna wear rocks like those, you had better prepare to be stared at!!

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Also A Chussid said...

I think the most precious and poignant moments at a wedding, that usually goes unnoticed, are when the little kidos dance… so precious and innocent…

I will never get tired to tell you how nice of blog you have…

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger the only way i know said...

she lost so much weight she almost disappeared???
I want! I want!
btw - beautifully descriptive post..
wonder who the jewlery lady was..

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger the only way i know said...

she lost so much weight she almost disappeared???
I want! I want!
btw - beautifully descriptive post..
wonder who the jewlery lady was..

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Mazel tov sounds like an amazing wedding.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

So beautiful....
First of all..if u remember my glimpse into the future...your future is Queen not PM..

I happen to agree that a mitzvah tantz adds so much to a wedding...
without it it just feels like a bar mitzvah with a girl thrown in..(unless ur the chosson..of course)
Of course...thats also assuming the badchan and guests speak the same langauage. I've been to weddings with a mitzvah tantz in yiddish and the chosson and kallah had no clue what was going on...this guy is blabbing in a langauage that sounds like greek to them...granparents are crying starnge uncles are pulling them with black ropes...How bizarre...
lol

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Bonnie B said...

If I had a hat, it would be hot pink with black feathers and sequins-- I can be as obnoxious as I want-- especially if I can convince my husband to buy me those emeralds (only in dreams).

It sounded like a terrific time.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger ggggg said...

Mazal Tov!!! True, nothing like a family Simcha to put things in perspective!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

(When I become Prime Minister of England, I will make a law requiring all women in the United Kingdom, to wear spectacular hats.
At all times.


Or perhaps, you can be the "Minister of Silly Hats"?

Mazal Tov! Glad you had fun at the wedding...

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Mazel Tov!

Sounds as if you have a wonderful family, and the wedding was truly wonderous.

I too like to wear hats, but in California, they are not seen enough.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger workingema said...

Hi!! I'm back!
Kasamba.... I was laughing and crying... laughing 'cuz the obvious, but crying 'cuz it really is so hard to let go of you're oldest child- a girl no less- and let her get married!!! (my goodness, my daughter's three, and I'm already like this..)
Mazal Tov!!
Can we see pictures?!?!;o)

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Lvsm:
Thanks!

Kish:
I know babe!

Sarah:
That sounds like my kind of do!

Openup:
You juast tell them that hats are to sheild them from pure beauty!

Chana:
So true!

Also:
I love when you visit!

Towik:
Me too, me too!!!

Socialworker:
It was!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

David:
Great comment!!
You are so right!!!

Bonnie:
I'd love to see that hat!

LV:
Here, here!!!

Jameel:
I LOVE that idea!!!

Barbara:
I do, they are, thanks!!!!
(Not even straw ones???)

Working ema:
Hi! I missed you!!!
Don't worry sheifele, you have a long time to go before you cry!!!

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, converse pas cher, vanessa bruno, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, coach purses, ray ban uk, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, nike free, new balance pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, hermes, oakley pas cher, nike roshe run, ray ban pas cher, air force, michael kors, mulberry, nike air max, nike blazer, hogan, lacoste pas cher, burberry, air max, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet, north face, tn pas cher, michael kors, michael kors, north face, true religion jeans, longchamp, nike roshe, sac guess, hollister, nike trainers, louboutin pas cher, replica handbags, hollister pas cher, nike huarache, true religion jeans, timberland, lululemon

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

louis vuitton, canada goose, karen millen, pandora charms, moncler, converse outlet, pandora jewelry, links of london, canada goose, wedding dresses, lancel, moncler, canada goose uk, supra shoes, replica watches, moncler outlet, hollister, toms shoes, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, swarovski, barbour, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, moncler, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, moncler, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, barbour jackets, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia
nienst123 12.31

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My blog is worth $12,419.88.
How much is your blog worth?

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>