Sunday, September 17

Kasamba’s Papa and Moshiach’s Yarmulke

My Dad is an equal opportunity Jew lover.
To him a Jew is a Jew in the same way as Shakespeare’s rose is still a rose by any other name. No matter what you wear on your head, or if you wear nothing on your head; if you are Jewish, he loves you.

My Dad will wear whatever yarmulke he finds in his drawer.
Soup bowl velvet, or penny crotched, it’s all the same to him.
On the odd occasion he has been known to wear a satin yarmulke with a gold inscription proclaiming it to be from ‘Lisa and Stanley’s wedding’.
Like I said, it’s all the same to him.

My Dad also likes to wear hats.
Being that my Dad is, shall we say, ‘folliclely challenged’ (okay, he’s bald) he likes hats because they keep his head warm in the winter, and on those sunny days, hats keep his forehead from turning lobster red. (My Dad gets a lot of mileage from baldness: ie. he says G-d made only so many perfect heads and the rest he covered with hair.)

Anyhoo, one day, my mother sent my father to the hat store to buy a new standard yeshivish black hat to wear to a very heimish wedding he was to attend. My Dad, being my Dad, comes back with a Hamberg. For those of you who do not know what a Hamberg is, suffice it to say that it is a black hat similar to the regular Borselino hats but taller…. and worn by certain Chassidim.
Well, my dad sets off to this Chasuna and he looks like the Real Deal.
(Oh, didn’t I mention that my father has a beard?
Yeah, he has a beard because:
1- It makes him look distinguished and
2- He wants to have hair on one side of his head.)

The entire night he wondered why everyone talked to him in Yiddish and called him ‘Reb this’ and ‘Reb that’. It was only after he got the most mechubadik mitzvah tanse that my Mom explained to him what kind of a hat he had bought.
The next morning my Dad returned the Hamberg and came home with a new hat…. a white straw one.

So, when I saw my friend’s father wearing an amazing Yalmulke, I knew that my dad would just love it. It was a like a pizza pie with each slice representing a different type of Yarmulke worn by different sects of Jews. One segment was velvet, the other was crotched, another one was suede etc...

I was so impressed with what that Yarmulke represented that I told my friend about my Dad and how he would appreciate the message more than anyone. The next thing I know, my friend called me round her house and told me that her father had only three of those Yarmulkes made but he wanted to send one to my Dad. She then presented me one of them and I in turn sent it on to my father in the US.

My Dad was overawed and immediately wrote to my friend’s father to thank him for this most special gift.
To my Dad it has always been about what is inside your soul that’s important and not what’s on your head.
Achdus is what it’s all about.

And that’s why when Moshiach will come tomorrow, you’ll see he is wearing my Dad’s Yarmulke.

27 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Your dad sounds like a very special man, and one after my own heart.

Shana Tovah. May the new year be one of good health, joy and peace for Israel.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger kishmech said...

Um can you start mass producing this yarmulka....I want one!!

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

Achdus is what it’s all about. --> exactly. Great post :) Thank you for sharing.

Ketivah VeChatimah Tova

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Also A Chussid said...

Kasamba,

Your dad is awesome… and so are you… ;o) (see I follow orders…)

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger smb said...

love that story, I can totally imagine mashiach wearing that hat

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger tafka PP said...

That's just fantastic: LOL re the Homberg-to-White-Straw!

Next time you're here we'll go to the Kippa man and find him something else fun.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger TRW said...

That's a wonderful, wonderful story! I bought my brother the half-velvet/half-knitted one that says "Ani ohev kol yehudi" when I was in Israel, but one that has even more kinds of yarmulkas on them is awesome!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger workingema said...

If only more people would be like your dad! Love each as yourself.... I'm glad I come from a family that accepts everyone the way they are!!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger HanginUp said...

I would love to get my hands on such a kippah. It should be a mandatory uniform in very yeshiva - a little wake-up call to all children that they should be accepting of every type of Jew. Perhaps you should market it on your BLOG and donate all proceeds to your pet charity!! Chag Sameach!!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Tzvi Meir & Ayala said...

hehe. Sounds like your parents make a funny couple!!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

It sounds like a lot of people could learn a huge lesson from your father - he sounds like an amazing person and a wonderful Jew. I wish everyone viewed hats and yarmulkes the way your father does.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very nice and funny post as usual.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

I bought a half velvet/half srugie "ani ohev kol yehudi" kippah for my father when I was in Israel, but this sounds even better! If there were only more people who thought that way, Mashiach would certainly be on his way!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

It's so rare to find people with (religious)priorities in a straight logical order.

Glad to know that somewhere in America there's a least one.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

A true "ehrliche Yid"--wonderful and special. He could teach others a lesson or two.

Tell him he has a fan club around the world!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

A Blogroll??

HOW. TOTALLY. COOL!!!

You are totally the FUNNIEST and coolest blogger around!

We worship your blog!

(And thanks for the link in your blogroll)

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

What a great great post...

May your father is Moshiach...

:-)

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Sara with NO H said...

your dad sounds like the coolest man on the planet! Kishmech has a great idea. I bet you could really mass produce something like that and really rake in lol.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

What an awesome post! I'm working on an entire website just about yarmulkas -- a photo of said yarmulka would be amazing. But this post really does drive home a wonderful message.

Please send my best to Papa Kasamba!

K'siva V'chasima Tova!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Barbara:
Thank you, that means alot to me!
Amen!

Kish:
Great idea!!!

Sarah:
Pleasure!
You too!

Also:
Thanks we both appreciate it!

Ivnsm:
Me too!

Tafka:
I thought you'd get a kick!
I'm looking fownrd to shopping with you!

Human Bean:
Thanks, he really is!

Trw:
I like that one too!

The next contender:
Ta!

Working ema:
Absolutely!

Hanginup:
What a fabulous idea!
Have a great Yom Tov!

Kolel mama:
They do!

Shoshana:
What a beautiful way of putting it thank you!

Socialworker:
Thanks Sweets!

Scraps:
too true!

Prag:
thanks but I'm sure there are more!

Limey:
pizza is good, and so is arsenal!!

Mia:
Thank you!

Toronto:
I will and thanks!

Jameel:
No YOU are totally the FUNNIEST and coolest blogger around!
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.

David:
LOL!
You think Moshiach shops at Costco?

Sara with no h:
He is thanks!
Let's all go into business together!

Must:
Thank you I will and when he's here for Sukkos, I'll take a photo of his Yarmulke!

Moiyrah:
I love the cowboy thing!

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

When you're in love, the whole world is Jewish!

;)

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Limey:
True.


Chana:
LOL!!!!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Hila said...

so inspiring, and yet funny at the same time! i love it! definitely demonstrates what judaism is all about---and how i came to it in the first place. keep up the amazing stories, you truly have a gift for writing!

kol tuv

hila

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Hilahoney:
You are so sweet- that is the nicest compliment- thank you!

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-7leilei
Lerbron James Shoes For Sale
michael kors uk
louis vuitton outlet online
Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet
Christian Louboutin Outlet Authentic sneakers
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
coach outlet
ray-ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses,ray bans,rayban,ray ban wayfarer,raybans,ray ban glasses,ray ban aviators,ray ban clubmaster,ray ban eyeglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans sunglasses,ray ban aviator,ray bands,fake ray bans,ray ban prescription glasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban canada,ray ban sunglasses sale,ray ban sale
michael kors uk
ugg boots sale
nike trainers
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Stores
louis vuitton handbags
uggs sale
cheap ugg boots
canada goose jackets
Ralph Lauren UK
hollister uk sale
Hollister Cheap Hollister Clothing Outlet Store
Mont Blanc Pens
Louis Vuitton Handbags Discount
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
Coach Outlet Discount Sale

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 12.31
tory burch outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet online, louboutin, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin shoes, michael kors, polo ralph lauren outlet, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, nike free, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, replica watches, longchamp, prada outlet, replica watches, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, converse pas cher, vanessa bruno, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, coach purses, ray ban uk, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, nike free, new balance pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, hermes, oakley pas cher, nike roshe run, ray ban pas cher, air force, michael kors, mulberry, nike air max, nike blazer, hogan, lacoste pas cher, burberry, air max, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet, north face, tn pas cher, michael kors, michael kors, north face, true religion jeans, longchamp, nike roshe, sac guess, hollister, nike trainers, louboutin pas cher, replica handbags, hollister pas cher, nike huarache, true religion jeans, timberland, lululemon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My blog is worth $12,419.88.
How much is your blog worth?

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>