Saturday, September 2

Summer of Katie

Oh boy did I miss all you Maidlach and Menschen these past few weeks!
Thank you for all your comments and e-mails!

Well now that summer is but all but a distant memory with sunburns all healed and the kids camp laundry fumigated, as we speak my parents are recovering from our five week descent onto parental terra firma. My mother always says that I make her happy twice: once when I come and once when I go. She enjoys us but as she is also wont to say, “Chocolate cake is great eaten slice by slice, but you don’t want the whole darn thing rammed down your throat at once.” Thanks Mom.

It’s a shame really, because I really would like to have stayed for the party she threw when we left.

But if you ask me about my summer there is just one image in my head and it belongs to the cutest most magnificent baby on earth, my new niece Katie, my baby brother’s first baby.

There is something very special about having a new baby from my side of family, where I can recognise family traits and characteristics. (And I have heard it said that we have very strong DNA) When I saw her for the first time I just about fell in love! At six and a half pounds her perfectly round head had not a squash mark to be seen, suffice it to say that wholesome roundness didn’t come free: ahem, ouch.

And Baby Katie even has cheekies!!!!! She has my brother’s big blue eyes and my gorgeous sister in laws full pouty lips and when she’s wrapped in a receiving blanket she looks like the most adorable, delicious burrito in the world. Yum.

She is just so perfect Beli Ayin Hara that I just want to wrap her in red string and spit all over her.

I think the scene that gave me the biggest lump in my throat and clumps in my mascara was seeing my brother, who is six foot and built like a lumberjack (he pumps iron) cuddle his new dainty, petite. feminine daughter. He’s already changed her diapers and I think it’s a hoot that this tiny pink bundle has her strapping daddy wrapped around her itty bitty finger. (You go girl!)

I was so thrilled to have been there for this birth story.
My brother and his fabulous wife came for Shabbos to my parents house in Monsey where I was staying with three of my kids- two having gone to sleep away camp and hubby languishing in London (he joined us the next week). Anyhoo, we spent the entire Shabbos examining my sister in law’s bump. She carried like a movie star with who swallowed a beach ball where her washboard stomach had been. We stared and stared at her very high bump and were convinced that her doctor was correct in saying that she’d probably go another two to three weeks. My youngest kiddies, Tomato and Cucumber used this time to bond with their future cousin by shouting at the unborn baby to make sure it heard them. They found the whole baby incubating thing just fascinating.

They were even more fascinated to learn that my sister in law’s waters broke on Motzai Shabbos and that my brother had to drive her to the hospital STAT. Putting them in the car to the hospital was like the farewell scene from the Love Boat sans all the confetti. We all spent the entire Sunday on shplikes waiting for the good news which came in at seven in the evening. In the meantime, every time the phone rang both of my nachases told everyone (my uncle, the Shul Gabbai, the insurance salesman) about their aunt’s waters breaking and her trip to the hospital.

The new parents named her Chaya and they called her Katie Faye.
(I was quite partial to the name ‘Conseula’ but for some odd reason, no one asked me. Go figure.)

I looooove the name Katie.
Katie was the name of my best friend when I was a little girl. My friend Katie was a year older than I was and she always made me feel special because she would only talk to her family…. and me. So if Katie’s teacher would want to know something urgently they would pull me out of class so she could whisper in my ear and I could say what she wanted. I thought it was a great arrangement. I never thought it was weird, until much later.
I really liked Katie.

Now about the Faye part; did I ever mention that my brother and sister in law live in Dayton, Ohio? Wha? I know, I know. If my brother oversleeps, there’s no minyin. Now I’ve never had the good fortune of going to Dayton but my guess is they called her Katie Faye to stop people calling her ‘Katie-Jo’ or ‘Katie- Bob’.
But I could be wrong.


I am absolutely doo-laaly over my new niecy-pie and I couldn’t love her more than if I gave birth to her myself. (And I’m quite happy I didn’t have to!)
Hey! This must be what having grandkids feels like!!!!!
OOOHHH I can’t wait!
But I’ll just have to until my kids outgrow their teens.
Oh well.
But it doesn’t matter because I’m just obsessed with my new marvellous, magnificent, miracle of a niece; the one, the only- KATIE.

46 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

my present condition doesn't let me read this whole post..but i did skim it...chuckled real loud though at ''It’s a shame really, because I really would like to have stayed for the party she threw when we left.''

breathless and shocked that u remembered my blog. yay :)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

o and im with you on the Conseula bit..shame indeed

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger cruisin-mom said...

kasamba: so good to have you back...missed your hysterical, heartwarming writing. Yes, I fell on the floor laughing at that line about the party she threw when you left!
I know how you feel about your neice...I have three (the only female species around my family)...glad you had such a wonderful summer and visit with you family.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger the only way i know said...

Now I have GOT to see her!!
If she looks anything like her parents - she'll be a knockout!
Sooo... is Consuela like in Phoebe's 'Princess Consuela Banana - hammock'? LOL
(better than Mike's 'Crap-bag'! - lol)
Just wanted to say Welcome Back again!
Had me laughing out loud as usual!
You're simply the best!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

mazal tov :)

sounds like the kasamba-clan had a wonderfully enjoyable holiday but welcome back!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Sabra:
As IF I could ever forget YOU!!!
Yeah, Conseulea would've been cool!

Crusin:
Thank you so much- I missed you too!
Nieces are YUMMY!!!

TOWIK:
You know, that's probably how I got the name Consulea!!!!LOL!!!
No, YOU'RE the best!!!!

Sarah:
Thank you!!!
It's fab to be back!

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Welcome back, will read tomorrow as it's quite late now!

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

but what about our friends? I want to hear all about it!

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

Wilkomen back to life!

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

So happy to see you back with a new post. Sounds great, exciting with the new baby.

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

Welcome back!! It is about time!!!!

Now... I have to take great issue with something you said: "Now I’ve never had the good fortune of going to Dayton but my guess is they called her Katie Faye to stop people calling her ‘Katie-Jo’ or ‘Katie- Bob’."

1) Ohio Jews (even the born-and-bred ones) just don't DO that to their kids
2) If you ever go to Dayton, you had BETTER tell me, because if you DON'T, and I find out, I will NEVER speak to you again ;)
3) If they were really worried about that, they would have called her Chaya ;)

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

yaaaaaaaaay youre back!

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

Welcome back, Kasamba, and MAzel Tov on the new addition! Hope NY treated you well! I think Consuela is a lovely name. Oh well, Katie sounds dreamy :-)

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Whenever I go to NY, my mother asks me how I like seeing my neices and nephews--my "blood relatives."

Welcome back, Kasamba.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger smb said...

Mazel tov. One of my friends had a baby recently and she is so adorable.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger smb said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

Oh, my mom lives in Dayton, OH. Not the most happening place on earth. Where in Dayton does your brother live?

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Howdy.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Tzvi Meir & Ayala said...

Welcome back!!! It's about time! BTW,why on earth do they live in DAYTON???

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

My sister always used to say Conseula...!

Welcome back, and Mazel Tov!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Something about your posts always brings a smile to my face, welcome back to the blogosphere!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger JJ said...

Hi, Kasamba! Welcome back!

Mazal Tov on your new niece (glad you refrained from spitting all over the sweet lil thing!)

What's high in the middle and round on both ends? OHIO! Sorry, couldn't resist, even tho that joke's so old it smells.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Prag:
always a pleasure to hear from you!

Notahottie:
Thank you!!!!
I guess she is my honorary granddaughter!

Tamara:
I think you'll have to go on their blog to find out- too many people they know read mine and will figure everything out!

Nemo:
Thanks- good to be back!

Socialworker:
I'm baaaaack!!!! The whole baby thing is really exciting!

Eshet:
Thanks! but not as much as I've missed YOU!

Chana:
1- OOPS!!!I didn't know that- I sit corrected!!!
2-I'll tell you as soon as I book a ticket (which I will!)
3-Too true!!!!

Anym00kie:
Yay!!!!! I missed you too!

Frumgirl:
Thanks! I also thought Consuela had a nice ring to it!

Psychotoddler:
Great to be back and she's right- this is my first 'blood relative!

Ivnsm27:
You gotto love those babies!!!!

Nemo:
Wow!!!! another person that lives there! I'm going to ask them which part they're in.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Jack's Shack:
Right back at ya!!!

Kollel Mama:
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Dayton- beats me!

Ezzie:
Thanks!!!
I tell ya, the name Consuela has a real following...

Chassidishe Sheigetz:
Thanks- as yours does to mine!


RR:
thanks!
LOL!!!!
I actually LOVE that joke!
(I wonder what my brother will think...)

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

Awwww! Mazal tov on the new addition to the family! She sounds like the cutest thing. May her parents and all the rest of the family have a lot of nachas from her!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

Cheekies are the best part. You jewish mother you.....you just wanna start squeezing them....yeah we know you can admit it. Adorable delcious burrito! lol. no the award for best one liner .....goes to...it's almost jackie mason like....i wanna wrap her in red string and spit all over her!!! pure gold kasamba that is.
xx

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger exsemgirl said...

Welcome back-you were sorely missed!

Mazal tov! Great when you can just admire the cuteness of the kid without having the bother of actually waking up at night for them etc... They say that's why grandchildren are so much fun!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

Hold it everyone. hold it. the woman is the aunt. say it slowly. and repeat three times. She's too young to be grandma. Now she can still adore her and not have to get up at night xsg. nieces and aunties. not grandchildren and grannies.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

I don't C"V live in Dayton, my mom moved there about six years ago. She lives in Centerville and when I'm there I/we go to the Chabad House in Oakwood {LOL, they're actually honoring her at their dinner next week}.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Mazel tov and so good to read your hilarious humor again!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger exsemgirl said...

Kishmech - I know she's just an aunt but was commenting bout grandchildren in general too!!!

Keep ur hair on!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

It's held on by clips. xx

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger exsemgirl said...

hmmm you shave the rest??? :P

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

"She is just so perfect Beli Ayin Hara that I just want to wrap her in red string and spit all over her."

This line reeally had me laughing...
As the only one in my ubersupersticious that refuses to but red strings on my kids..I'm one step away from being taken out of the will...lol

Good to see u again..Sounds like u had a lovely summer

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Also A Chussid said...

Beautiful…

Nice to see you back… and as good as ever…

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back Kasamba- I'm glad that you had a great summer and the baby sure sounds like a joy.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Scraps:
Amen!!!!

Kish:
Glad you liked!x


Exsem:
Thanks!!!
Yup, the handing back at night is the best part!


Kish:
Thanks for the vote of youth!!!!

The Next contender:
Ta' me luv!!!


Nemo:
Cool!!!


Prag:
Thanks, great to be back!


Exsem & Kish:
Now, now, girls!

David:
Why thanks!!! It was really nice!

Limey:
OOOH! Shame I missed you!
(Stay away from Asparagus!)

Also:
You just say the nicest things!

Limey:
Nope, we shop in Monsey Glatt!

Amsihav:
It was and it was!!!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Kasamba,
Brucha Ha'Baah. Welcome Back. Sounds like a wonderful time was had in the US of A.
Mazel Tov on your niece; wonderful that your love and joy for her is so exuberant...but that IS you, isn't it?

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Bonnie B said...

Welcome to the world Katie Faye! And welcome back Kasamba!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger ggggg said...

Glad you are back bubbeleh! So, you missed me?

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Toronto:
Now you've got me tearing up...
Thanks for the lovely compliment!

Bonnie:
Thanks for her and for me!

LV:
Of course Sheifele!!!!

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger HanginUp said...

I don't know - ever since Tom Cruise hooked up with that Katie Holmes I am not too keen on the name but I am sure she is precious - mazal tov and welcome back!!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Limey:
Anyone with a daughter should!!!

Hanginup:
Thank G-d she's not with the Cruises!

Coldman:
Don't think too hard, you'll defrost!

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-7leilei
Lerbron James Shoes For Sale
michael kors uk
louis vuitton outlet online
Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet
Christian Louboutin Outlet Authentic sneakers
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
coach outlet
ray-ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses,ray bans,rayban,ray ban wayfarer,raybans,ray ban glasses,ray ban aviators,ray ban clubmaster,ray ban eyeglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans sunglasses,ray ban aviator,ray bands,fake ray bans,ray ban prescription glasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban canada,ray ban sunglasses sale,ray ban sale
michael kors uk
ugg boots sale
nike trainers
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Stores
louis vuitton handbags
uggs sale
cheap ugg boots
canada goose jackets
Ralph Lauren UK
hollister uk sale
Hollister Cheap Hollister Clothing Outlet Store
Mont Blanc Pens
Louis Vuitton Handbags Discount
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
Coach Outlet Discount Sale

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-7leilei
Lerbron James Shoes For Sale
michael kors uk
louis vuitton outlet online
Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet
Christian Louboutin Outlet Authentic sneakers
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
coach outlet
ray-ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses,ray bans,rayban,ray ban wayfarer,raybans,ray ban glasses,ray ban aviators,ray ban clubmaster,ray ban eyeglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans sunglasses,ray ban aviator,ray bands,fake ray bans,ray ban prescription glasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban canada,ray ban sunglasses sale,ray ban sale
michael kors uk
ugg boots sale
nike trainers
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Stores
louis vuitton handbags
uggs sale
cheap ugg boots
canada goose jackets
Ralph Lauren UK
hollister uk sale
Hollister Cheap Hollister Clothing Outlet Store
Mont Blanc Pens
Louis Vuitton Handbags Discount
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
Coach Outlet Discount Sale

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, converse pas cher, vanessa bruno, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, coach purses, ray ban uk, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, nike free, new balance pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, hermes, oakley pas cher, nike roshe run, ray ban pas cher, air force, michael kors, mulberry, nike air max, nike blazer, hogan, lacoste pas cher, burberry, air max, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet, north face, tn pas cher, michael kors, michael kors, north face, true religion jeans, longchamp, nike roshe, sac guess, hollister, nike trainers, louboutin pas cher, replica handbags, hollister pas cher, nike huarache, true religion jeans, timberland, lululemon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My blog is worth $12,419.88.
How much is your blog worth?

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>