Thursday, July 20

UTOPIA

Baruch Hashem, each one my kids is a character in their own right.
And what character that is.
Only the other day, Mr Kasamba and I were discussing our children’s idea of utopia; the perfect world.

Let’s start with Cucumber, the youngest. Already at four years of age, Cucumber has recently decided that she doesn’t like the names that Mr Kasamba and I have chosen for her siblings. Surprising, huh? So, she renamed them. Even our great Rabbis don’t escape Cucumber’s renaming; as the Chofetz Chaim is now the Chofetz ‘Lion’. So her idea of a perfect world is where people could be named according to her whim and mood. That’s easy enough because she does it anyway.

Then there’s Tomato, our precocious seven year old who would like nothing more than to spend every day in pyjamas, playing game boy and playstation ; going to sleep if he wants, and then being allowed to sleep in as long as he wants.

Asparagus, our darling fifteen year old, would be quite happy if Harry Potter was required reading for … well, everyone. And JK Rowling would be appointed Supreme Ruler of England.

Artichoke at seventeen years old has simple requirements; all he wants is to own the White House Restaurant….. and keep it in his bedroom.

Well, that’s normal isn’t it? Now here’s where it starts getting interesting. Radish our thirteen year old, has always had a different perspective of the world. When he was five, he insisted that we buy a horse to keep in the garden shed, and when we nixed that idea, he asked for a cow that could live in the shed so we could have fresh milk every day.
But his selling point was this; after we tire of the cow, we could always shecht it and have a lovely meal.
Rigggght.

As he grows older, he comes up with schemes and ideas on a daily basis, which would make any entrepreneur, turn green with envy. Although one would need access to the Mir space station and other accoutrements from NASA and the pentagon to accommodate his proposals.

So, Radish’s idea of a perfect world would be one where there would be no constraints on the imagination. That merely thinking about something would be enough to bring into a tangible reality. Where if you wanted to, you could walk on the ceiling and you could learn how to drive just from playing Nintendo. Anything and everything is possible.

Well, in a way that is the truth. As Jews we are a tiny nation. We were enslaved by the most powerful empire on earth, were freed, literally walked through a sea, survived in a barren desert and were finally chosen to receive the treasure that is the Torah. We are still around thousands of years later after having survived the most torturous persecutions imaginable.

BUT WE ARE STILL HERE!
Nissim and Nifloas are possible.
Anything and everything is possible!

But we are not schooled to think that way. It is easier to teach students not to expect too much so they won’t be disappointed. I hope those constraints don’t harness my sons desire to soar and reach for the impossible. I hope that Radish will use the gifts that Hakodush Baruchu gave to him. With Torah as his guide he should use the imagination and creativity that he has and then his eyes can stay open to see that everything and anything is possible!

In these troubled times, I wish we all could do that; then we might be able to realise and recognize Melech Hamoshiach and then all of us will finally see our perfect world.

26 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

i thought arty already had Reichs in his bedroom?

i can just see you milking a cow. hehe.

nice tie in.

:-D

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger tafka PP said...

Radish has got the right idea, I reckon!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger workingema said...

I wish I can be like Radish, and believe that all my imaginations and dreams can come true,.. just by thinking of them...!!
I guess for now I'll hold on to my dreams... ya never know when and what will come true!!!

Stay strong, Radish!!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Limey:
Yup, that's the way he planned it!

Kish:
LOL!
Mr Reich does come quite often to slice salt beef for Artichoke in his bedroom, that's why Artichoke has bottles of ketchup and mustard on standby...
As for me milking a cow- I breastfed 5 babies, heck, I WAS the cow!

Dovy's sibling;
Why thank you for the lovely comment! It's nice to know someone 'gets it'!

Tafka:
He does!

Workingema:
Thank you, you hold on to your dreams and I'll help him stay strong!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Actually limes, I was hoping to squeeze that comment in so no one would notice besides Kish...

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger kishmech said...

huh!!!!!!! heeeheee.

how's the coke. That's how we change the subject.

The weather incidentailly is fryingmy brain cells.

oh and it's my birthday.

happy birthday to me. happy birthday to me.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger smb said...

Beautiful message, Kasamba.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

All your kids sound amazing I didn't realize you had teenagers I guess you are not 30 yrs old then. Your spirit is. Great descriptions. So happy I know your family now without meeting them. lol

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

What about coffee? :-)

What a great sentiment... thank you!

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger cruisin-mom said...

kasamba: love your honest description of your kids (not unlike your description of your mom)...that's exactly what makes you, i'm sure, a great mom.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

great descriptions :)

And Radish has the right idea because, as I like to quote "reality is for people who lack imagination"!!

shabbat shalom

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Lee said...

I love it how I could say an absolute truth that really would just come across as absolutely corny.
It is a perfect world. Hashem created it in the most perfect way of perfection.

But, NOOOO, I didn't miss your point -I get it that we all want what we want, and YESSSSS, I totally agree with your connection of that concept to the miracle of our -as a nation's -existence....so really I don't know where I'm going with this, but I like your posts so much that even when I have nothing to say, I gotta say something...I guess because on some subconscious level, I want to engage you in conversation. Wouldn't it be soooo fun if all us blogging people could meet in a chatroom? Although I think that might get complicated...Ok, never mind. I'll stop.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Okee - how about real life? That would be cooler. :) (Especially if you could leave the ones you're not interested in without them noticing!) (OK that came out wrong.)

Actually, I've met like 25, so... yeah, it is pretty cool.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Looks like you have an amazing salad there Kasamba. And with you and Mr K acting as the dressing you've got something there which is really special.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Kish:
Happy Birthday my pretty little spring chicken!

Next contender:
Ah, but if everyones ideas of the perfect world is for everyone else to be happy, there would be no problem!

Ivnsm27:
Thank you!

Socialworker;
LOL! No, I'm certainly on the wrong side of 30- I just never matured!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Frungirl:
Lol!
She still keeps me up!

Crusidn:
Thank you- I hope my kids feel that way!

Sarah:
Wow- I LOVE that saying- thanks!

Okee:
Lets meet over a barbeque- I'm coming to USA B"EH next week!

Ezzie:
Well then make a reunion- I'll come!

Dotcodot:
Oh, that was so nice it made me all farklempt!
Hows the mrs doing????

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

B"H she is doing well. Just entered the ninth month.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger exsemgirl said...

One sec-u missed out MR & Mrs Kasamba.
What is their ideal world?

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger TRW said...

Go Radish!! Never surrender to the evil world of grown-ups and smashed ideas!!

(And the same to all the other little vegetables..)

Kas...I guess it gets old after the first 1000 people, but I just love your blog!

(And rumor has it that we might be at the same event in late August...;) )

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Youre putting all your hopes and dreams and..the hopes and dreams..of our entire nation past and present..on Radishes shoulders??

Can he handle it?

:-)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

GREAT POST.
Among everything else, I love the fact you you recognize that each of your children is different and recognize their differences. :-)
You sound like an amazing mother.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Dotcodot:
B'shaa Tovah!
May it be like toast- just pop out!

Exsem:
Good Question!
That's another post!

TRW:
Fabulous!
I look forward to dancing with you!

David:
We'll see!

Notahottie:
LOL!!
You are too funny!

AFrumidealist:
Thanks! I hope my kids say that!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger ggggg said...

Wow, a real salad you have going there! Lots of Nachas!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Her Next Door:
Hmm... good question!
Well, right now it's got to be peace in the middle east!


Lakewood:
Why thank you!

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, converse pas cher, vanessa bruno, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, coach purses, ray ban uk, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, nike free, new balance pas cher, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, hermes, oakley pas cher, nike roshe run, ray ban pas cher, air force, michael kors, mulberry, nike air max, nike blazer, hogan, lacoste pas cher, burberry, air max, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet, north face, tn pas cher, michael kors, michael kors, north face, true religion jeans, longchamp, nike roshe, sac guess, hollister, nike trainers, louboutin pas cher, replica handbags, hollister pas cher, nike huarache, true religion jeans, timberland, lululemon

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

louis vuitton, canada goose, karen millen, pandora charms, moncler, converse outlet, pandora jewelry, links of london, canada goose, wedding dresses, lancel, moncler, canada goose uk, supra shoes, replica watches, moncler outlet, hollister, toms shoes, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, swarovski, barbour, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, moncler, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, moncler, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, barbour jackets, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia
nienst123 12.31

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


My blog is worth $12,419.88.
How much is your blog worth?

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>